Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mont Ventoux Travel

+4
telfleet
Matt-T
Chris
Angie
8 posters

Go down

Mont Ventoux Travel Empty Mont Ventoux Travel

Post  Angie Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:52 am

Calling all Cingles!

Just a thought - I've been investigating hiring self drive mini bus 9 - 15 seats, only 'cos I'm bored and don't want to go food shopping. Anyway I believe it works out between £50 - £80 each with petrol and chunnel extra. Had a quick look at chunnel prices and it's approx £40 per car £55 for minibus payable both ways. Obviously it depends on which day we leave, 3 or 5 day hire, and it's more expensive the more drivers we put on the insurance.

Just wanted to get the ball rolling with travel arrangements especially if we are short on reliable / big cars. What say the rest of you.

I don't mind taking my car but it is only a 1.3 fiesta so can only take 3 adults no luggage and drive at a very safe and economic 50 mph.

I await all of your thoughts.

See you tomorrow / Monday

A x

Last edited by Angie on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : needed to add more info)
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Mont Ventoux Travel Empty Re: Mont Ventoux Travel

Post  luke-m Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:45 pm

angie,

good researchering. I've got a golf 2.0 TDI so 5 people possible 55mpg (actual). remember for costings we'd need chunnel, fuel and payage tolls.

800 miles from here to carpentras (approx with AA route planner) works out at 16 gallons or 73 litres = (£190 fuel return) Calais-nice 2011 paege tolls are €97 so I reckon €160 return. plus chunnel costs (£92 ish at the mo'). all divided by 5 (£83)

so is the minbus.mpv better value? based on my car costing zero for hire (aren't i generous!!!) and fully-comp driver can drive it for free we need to do the maths for a bigger van thingy...i think it will prob be much cheaper but we need an estimate for say 3-4 drivers. i assume paege costs will be same as cars as for big mpv thing.

luke What a Face

just my ramblings but should give all an idea of ballpark costs.

luke

luke-m

Back to top Go down

Post  luke-m Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:47 pm

forgot to say that if tony, sarah,tel's costs are greater we should reinburse them the difference. spesh as they're taking our bikes and all... however, we'll need reciepts!!!!

luke-m

Back to top Go down

Post  Angie Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:11 am

Are they taking ALL the bikes? Laughing Laughing So we don't need bike racks? Laughing Laughing

Thanks for replying Luke I was beginning to think no one was gonna talk to me Crying or Very sad

I will print some quotes off tonight and take them to the pub tomorrow.

There is also the issue of comfort being squashed in a car, space for luggage, ( I feel I might have to do a pros and cons list people!) As for working out petrol and mileage etc etc I'll get my daughter on the case.

One other question that needs to be addressed so please get back to me on this one, when do we want to leave? Can / does everyone want to leave on Thursday night or Friday? Personally I would like to leave on Thursday so as to relax / prepare on Friday.

A x
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:46 am

As I was not at spinning today and I will be working tomorrow evening missing the pub, I will put my thoughts on here.
I am happy to drive (a car rather than a minibus) and/or share some of the driving to the South of France.
I think it would be better to have four to a car rather than five, as its a long old trip and people don't want to be squashed up for long periods.
My car is big enough to fit three passengers comfortably and some luggage, so who wants to come with me??
I would also prefer to travel Thursday night.

Hopefully a decision will be made about cars, passengers and departure times tomorrow and we can get ferries booked this week.

I will also try and find out MPG figures for my car and text it to one of you guys before tomorrows pub.

Chris

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Angie Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:38 am

Thanks Chris. I agree with the amount of passengers per car. Here's what we need to think about;

There's 9 riders left, 10 if Luke is a defo so that includes you Helly, that's 3 cars one with 4 in and two with 3 in. That's 3 lots of tunnel tickets approx £80 each car, 3 lots of petrol, at least 2 drivers in each car which have to be fully comp to drive other peoples car - don't know if there is a charge from respective insurance company to put people on or indeed extra cost in insurance for taking cars to Europe - never done it before so don't know. Also reliability of the cars we have so far yours, mine and Luke's that's again if Luke is a defo. Don't know about Matt's or Mike's and Hellie's will be a 2 up. Also 800 miles is a lot of extra mileage.

Get your calculators out and lets start the maths.

A x
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Mont Ventoux Travel Empty Mount Ventoux travel

Post  Matt-T Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Time for my penny worth, I am up for Thursday night drive - but personally and if was taking my car would prefer short nights sleep and leave Friday at 5am or earlier to get 7 to 8am Eurotunnel. Am getting too old to sleep comfortably in the car!

I have done this leg a few time (similar to Aix or Toulon) and it usually take 8- 9 hours including fuel and sandwich stops on the French side so if travelling during the day arrive around 6pm in Bedoin. I think paege for MPV is more than car but will try to check tonight.

My car will do it easily, reliability not an issue, its also 2L TDI so fuel about the same as Luke and can fit driver + 3 (absolutely not more for this length trip!). My only slight reservation is car's pretty new and I have never been accused of being car proud..... but may be this will wear of over the next week!

See you tomorrow (Monday) if there any Haggis left at Andy's - or at the pub.

Matt
Matt-T
Matt-T

Back to top Go down

Post  telfleet Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:03 am

Hi All,

I think all the research is fantastic. Sorry Angie I was waiting for others to have their say. As mine is sorted. I beleive we can take all the bikes and I would hope a fair bit of the luggage too! But would have to check with Tony & Sarah.

If I was n't in the van I would be inclined to agree with yourself and the mini-bus option would be the preferred option. This would be a real laugh on the way there and back. But i also think it would work out cheaper.

Thanks for your effort and research.

All the best

Tel bounce
telfleet
telfleet

Back to top Go down

Post  luke-m Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:54 am

only having a cursory web browse but to hire a 9-seater ford tourneo (possibly holding 1 or 2 less people than we need!) as an example from U-drive is about £400 for the trip. additional cost for more than 1 driver (although not too much). also additional costs for excess mileage and european travel. i think these sort of details require a phone quote so i'll endeavour to call someone for an all-in hire price at some point. It's probably quite sensitive to these additional costs. for example u-drive charge 8p/mile over 200 per day so that's another £100 for the trip just on excess driving. again some phone quotes will help us make the most cost-effective decision.

luke

luke-m

Back to top Go down

Post  Angie Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 am

My dealings have been with Nationwide hire. 17 seater diesel minibus, 3 drivers, European travel and unlimited mileage delivered with full tank £698 so £70 if 10 of us are going ( worked out without the aid of a calculator!). The only thing I don't know is mpg and therefore fuel cost for journey. The AA website said approx 120 Euros for fuel probably for a car. The toll payment varies depending on which site I go to. Channel tunnel is £110 for minibus but £87 per car.

A x
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Yair Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:05 am

All this maths is making my head hurt!!! Exclamation Question Exclamation

From my point of view, I'm happy to fit in with whoever and drive if needed (- not crashed for a while now!!). Only thing for certain is I'm going! cheers

Guess we'll speak more about this tonight over haggis!

T

Tim Yair
Tim Yair

Back to top Go down

Post  Angie Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 am

Is it me or are you lot really indecisive? Laughing Rolling Eyes

or just easily pleased Wink

See you all tonight and we'll thrash it out then Shocked

A x
Angie
Angie

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:09 am

Hello again
My car is 37.4 MPG which roughly equates to 21.4 gallons or 97.2 litres for the trip.
Calculated using current petrol prices it should be around £125 for the trip, however as petrol prices are likely to continue to rise I have calculated the price to £1.50 a litre. Which is £146.

Right I'm off to work, by the time I get back I expect it all to be all nicely sorted!!
Have fun!!

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Helly Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:36 am

Guys,
I'm up for the van option if I am a deffo which I hope to be.
I can only really take one other in my car with luggage although will drive it if needed - provided insurance works out.

I have driven minibus before and woud have no probs with sharing this.
Also happy to go on Thursday night - get some kip while travelling. Yeah! Also bus songs are great fun first thing in the morning! (Just as well Tel is in the other bus as he's not so keen on this when he's tired - grumpy etc etc). Des however can account for Rita's and my vocal efforts to ABBA ALL the way home from John o Groats!

Dunno but mark my still come. If we have a bus we have the option of additional extras (to a point) and would reduce cost for those already deffo. Additional folk via the car route creates more of a prob in my mind - it's seeming difficult enough to sort what we already have!
lol!
Hx
Helly
Helly

Back to top Go down

Post  Des Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:25 am

I can still hear the Abba, Abba, Abba, Abba, Abba, Abba.........Abaaaaaaaaaghhhhhh!!!!!!! cyclops
Des
Des

Back to top Go down

Post  Helly Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:43 am

See!
I said you'd enjoyed it!
Laughing Sleep
Helly
Helly

Back to top Go down

Post  cathy73 Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:43 am

hey, although i'm not going i have a small car that someone could drive (would have to get insurance) on Thursday OR Friday. Theres no bike rack but could fit 1 bike (but no luggage) in the boot? Don't know how many miles to the gallon it does tho? Does that help?

lol!

(sorry i felt left out and wanted to put something...)

cathy73

Back to top Go down

Post  Helly Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:52 am

lol!
Think after last night that the minibus option looks strong. All the bikes are going in another van.
Like the sickbag photo;O)
Hx
Helly
Helly

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down