Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regulations

3 posters

Go down

Regulations Empty Regulations

Post  harry.s Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 am

Hey Guys!
I was just wondering if you could help me out with the youth gearing. I have read and heard about gearing ratios and distances but have no idea what there on about Question If you could help out that would be great because then i can go ahead and get my racing license! Very Happy

harry.s

Back to top Go down

Regulations Empty Re: Regulations

Post  Tim Yair Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:19 pm

Hi Harry

Whilst it does sound a bit confusing, it's actually quite simple to work out. The easiest way to make sure you conform to the BC rules is to put your bike into its highest gear (biggest ring on the front and smallest on the back) and measure out how far the bike moves over a single full revolution of the pedals. To do this mark a white line on the ground and put your rear wheel directly on the line, put one pedal at 12 o'clock, then walk your bike backwards in a straight line until the same pedal is again at 12 o'clock. Then mark another point on the ground directly under your rear wheel. Measure the distance between the two lines. The maximum distance allowed (the gear length), for road racing is:

Juniors (Under 19) - 7.93 metres
Youth A (under 16) - 6.93 metres

The are a number of ways of obtaining this set-up, but for juniors the usual way is by using a maximum 52 tooth chainring on the front and a 14 tooth cassette at the rear - just make sure your tyres are 23mm (46 and 14 if you're under 16). There are a few other options which involve restricting which gears are avialable, but those have other downsides (fewer available gears). I guess it depends a bit on your current set-up, and how much you're wanting to spend. I know there are a few people in the club who have ridden junior gears, so it would be worth asking if anyone has any they don't need.

Hope that helps.

Tim
Tim Yair
Tim Yair

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:53 am

It may also be worth heading down to MB on a Wednesday night, as Tim Knight will be able explain to you how to set up your bike for the correct gearing for your race category.

Chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum